SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER (YEAR C)
- View/download the printed newsletter
- Minutes of the Parish Pastoral Council meeting, held on 16th May 2022
Parish Priest: Fr Anthony Dampson
Assistant Priest: Fr Marek Balawender
THE ASCENSION OF THE LORD Thursday, 26th May is a Holy Day of Obligation, Mass times as follows : 9.30am at St Andrew’s and 7.30pm in Our Lady of Peace
FIRST HOLY COMMUNION CHILDREN First Reconciliations will take place in Our Lady of Peace Church this Saturday, 21st May at 10.00am. Please note that there will be Holy Communion goods on sale at the end of this service. Please continue to pray for our children so that they will grow in their appreciation of the sacraments of Confession and Holy Communion.
PENTECOST Novena Prayer on Thursday, 2nd June in Our Lady of Peace at 7.30pm.
OFFERTORY The collection for 15th May amounted to £556.28. Many thanks for your continued support.
MASS MEDIA there will be a retiring collection next weekend for World Communications Day (Mass Media).
BLESSING OF THE GRAVES The Blessing of the Graves will take place this Sunday, 22nd May at Slough Cemetery at 3.00pm.
APF (Association for the Propagation of the Faith) This weekend, Sunday, 22nd May, the founder of the APF, Pauline Marie Jaricot, will be beatified in her home town of Lyon in France. Masses will be celebrated worldwide to honour this outstanding and notable event. Our Diocese has not yet arranged a Mass but the nearest, at the moment, will take place at St Edmund Campion Church in Altwood Road, Maidenhead, SL6 4PY. The date and time of this special Mass is Tuesday, 7th June at 6.00pm. Everybody associated with the Red Box who supports the efforts of the MHM Missionary Priests is invited to attend.
Further information (+ audio link): millhillmissionaries.com/beatification-of-pauline-jaricot-passion-for-mission
CRISIS IN UKRAINE Please keep all those affected by this conflict in your prayers.
Loving God, we pray for the people of Ukraine, for all those suffering or afraid, that you will be close to them and protect them. We pray for world leaders, for compassion, strength and wisdom to guide their choices. We pray for the world that in this moment of crisis, we may reach out in solidarity to our brothers and sisters in need. May we walk in your ways so that peace and justice become a reality for the people of Ukraine and for all the world. Amen
ST GILBERT’S MISSION PROJECT still continue raising funds. Small plastic bottles are available in the Church porches for any loose change you would like to donate to the St Gilbert’s Mission Project. Please return full bottles to Our Lady of Peace.
MARRIAGE CARE is a Catholic charity which supports marriage through relationship counselling and marriage preparation. We are currently looking to recruit volunteers, couples or individuals, to facilitate our marriage preparation courses for couples getting married in the Catholic church. Full training and continuing support are provided. Our presenters usually present courses on a Saturday two or three times in a year. If you think you could help to support marriage in this way, please contact Sue Cooper at sue.cooper[AT]marriagecare.org or 07939495774. For further information about Marriage Care visit www.marriagecare.org.uk
PARISH SAFEGUARDING REPRESENTATIVE Máirín Comfort is our Parish Safeguarding Representative. The role of the Parish Safeguarding Officer is to provide support, advice and information on all matters concerning the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults in the parish. If you have any queries, please contact Máirín via the Parish office.
COVID There is still a risk associated with gathering for sustained periods in enclosed spaces and therefore we will continue to monitor our practices in the Churches to ensure we are as Covid secure as possible. Inside churches we encourage you to continue to wear a mask if possible. There will be no social distancing but please be sensitive to the needs of others around you. For those wishing to maintain social distance the right-hand side aisle (looking at the altar) will be reserved for this purpose. The sign of peace can be re-introduced, and holy water stoups filled up again. We should continue to ensure there is good ventilation, balancing this against the need for church heating, especially at this time. If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, stay at home. If you tested positive for COVID-19 and were in Church recently, stay at home and inform us immediately by calling 01628 605764 so that we can take the necessary steps. Thank you for your continued vigilance.
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne, as Parish Secretary, will be working in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, from 9.00am to 2.00pm. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
ASSISTANT HEADTEACHERS x 2 FOR ST MARY’S CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL, MAIDENHEAD The Governors are seeking to appoint two highly capable and inspirational Assistant Headteachers to join our Senior Leadership Team. This is a fantastic opportunity for a forward-thinking professional with exceptional leadership skills to further drive improvement at our successful school. The successful candidate will have a proven track record at Middle or Senior leadership level, underpinned by a clear strategic vision for improving pupils’ life chances. To apply, please visit: https://www.mynewterm.com/jobs/139882/EDV-2022-SMCPSM-10679
ST JOSEPH’S CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL Shaggy Calf Lane, Slough, SL2 5HW. Tel: 01753 524713. An equal opportunities employer. Required for September 2022:
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (PART TIME). 22.5 hours per week, Wednesday – Friday, 8.00am to 4.00pm with half an hour lunch (unpaid). Term time + 9 days Insets/school closure. STCAT L4 Point 13 – Actual Salary £12,891 (FTE £23,469). Please see website for full advert and an application form at: www.st-josephs.slough.sch.uk
BLESSING OF THE GRAVES The Blessing of the Graves will take place on Sunday, 22nd May at Slough Cemetery at 3.00pm.
SCRIPTURAL ROSARY The Rosary Group are meeting in Our Lady of Peace Church to recite a Scriptural Rosary on Tuesday, 24th May at 10.00am. All parishioners are most welcome to attend. Any queries please email Denise on dennymcclintock73[AT]sky.com
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, on Wednesday, 25th May, the topic will be Lectio Divina and Reflections The Speaker will be Mrs Jennifer Brainoo. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
ONE DAY RETREAT A special coach @ £35 per person is being arranged for those wishing to attend the one-day retreat conducted by Fr Joseph Idattu and team and for the inauguration of a new centre of Divine UK at Pantasaph, Wales on Saturday, 28th May. The coach will leave 5.00am from St Ethelbert’s Church and will return back at 11.00pm after a short sightseeing at Talacre Beach at Wales. Please see the notice board for the retreat and coach booking details. (Contact Natty on – 07397 149269).
BAPTISM ZOOM MEETING will be held on Tuesday, 31st May at 6.00pm. This is for first time parents who wish their child to receive the Sacrament of Baptism over the next few months. To register please email Yvonne on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org.
QUEEN’S JUBILEE FUN DAY 3rd June, 2pm – 8pm, St Andrew’s Shared Church garden. Free entry. Bring & Share combined with a cash bar & BBQ. 1950’s themed fancy dress. Bake-a-cake competition – prize for best decorated. Open mic, karaoke, bingo, raffle, music and dancing. Join us for fun filled day. Free entry. Let’s celebrate. If you would like to donate any items for the Fun Day raffle hampers, please see the list below. We would be delighted to receive them! Items should be handed into the Parish office by 29th May: Bottles of wine (or similar), Soft drinks, Biscuits, Chocolates, Toiletries.
NYMO SUMMER CAMP This year the Camp takes place from 24th-28th July at Alton Castle in Staffordshire. With the option to camp this year you can either bring a tent or book a dorm! Prices start at £225, please check the website for all the options. The cost includes all activities, food, a full day at Alton Towers and another mystery day trip! For more information and to book a place please email beccy[AT]nymo.org or log on to nymo.org/summercamp
ESCORTED PILGRIMAGE TO KNOCK SHRINE, IRELAND, 25th July 2022. £699.00 per person sharing. Price includes flight from Luton or Stansted with 10kg hand luggage, all transfers, 4 nights’ in Knock House Hotel with full board. All entertainment and excursions included. Day trips to Westport, Ballintubber Abbey, Croagh Patrick, Fr. Peyton Centre & National Museum. Single supplement £100.00. Contact Patricia on 01268 762 278 or 07740 175557 or email knockpilgrimages[AT]gmail.com. Knock Pilgrimages is fully protected by ATOL T7613.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne, Fr Anthony, or delivered to the Presbytery.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER COPIES OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
MASS BOOKINGS Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Anthony. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We are now using a new provider ‘Invest My Community’ who work with other Catholic Diocese, schools and charities. You can access our online giving page via the donate button on our Diocesan Website or by using the following link https://northamptondiocese.org/donate/ If you would like to use this facility to make your regular, one off donations please ensure you indicate this along with the name of your parish, and any other message detail in the ‘Public Message’ box. Please note this information is not made visible to the public.
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only. There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
- Contactless Donations 💳 We have installed ‘Digital Collection Plate’ contactless terminals in the Churches, allowing you to donate using a contactless debit/credit card, NFC smartphone or watch. Simply enter the amount you wish to donate and hold your card (or NFC device) to the reader. You can also opt-in for Gift Aid to increase your donation by 25%. If you are a UK taxpayer then donating with Gift Aid means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 received.
- Parish Donations Portal 💳 After a successful trial of the physical digital collection plate in our Churches, we are pleased to announce that a web portal is now available as a queue-free alternative. Either use the link (Gift Aid giving is available using one-time registration): https://portal.mydona.com/assets/webPay/index.php?cid=419 or with your QR code reader mobile app, scan the code in the printed newsletter, click on the link to mydona.com, and it will give you the same options available on the Digital Plate in Church. Also look out for the DONATE HERE sign with QR Code in the Church. Thank you.
N.B. To access this service, select links titled: Parish Donations Portal.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless.
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
May 21st – May 29th
Sunday Readings: Year C.
Weekday Readings: Cycle II.
Universalis – Daily Mass Readings (updates automatically).
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
May 21st – May 29th
|Saturday 21st May | SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER|
Mass Readings (Year C)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Special Intention (Conroy); Ronald Begley RIP (Boundy); Ethan Slaney Intentions (Choir)
|Sunday 22nd May | SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – For newly Confirmed members of our Parish family, parents, grandparents and Godparents (Rosary Group); Nora Estillore RIP (Bowron)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Susan Chukwudi (Chukwudi); Arthur K Ratna RIP (K Ratna family); People of the Parish
|Monday 23rd May|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Shelagh Rowley Intentions (Rowley); McCann (Foundation); James Dunleavy RIP (Johnston); Dan & Rose O’Connor Intentions (Brid)
|Tuesday 24th May|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Families that Mourn (Rosary Group); Persecuted Christian (Foundation);
|Thursday 26th May | ASCENSION OF THE LORD|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Ryan family (Ryan); Basil Potter RIP (Potter)
7.30pm Our Lady of Peace LS – People of the Parish
|Friday 27th May | ST AUGUSTINE, APOSTLE OF ENGLAND|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – For newly Baptised, Godparents, Parents & Grandparents (Rosary Group); Mann (Foundation)
|Saturday 28th May | SEVENTH SUNDAY OF EASTER|
Mass Readings (Year C)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Deceased members of Abbi, Sood, Fernandes & Puthampurakkal families (Fernandes)
|Sunday 29th May | SEVENTH SUNDAY OF EASTER|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Demetrio Macri RIP (Family); Marisa Hancock RIP (Boundy); Chris Davis Intentions (Brid)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Patsy M. Birthday Intentions (Shiels); People of the Parish
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2022 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE