SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT (YEAR C)
- View/download the printed newsletter
- Parish Synod Summary – (6 pages) as a PDF or view on Google Drive
- Parish Synod feedback document – (16 pages) as a PDF or view on Google Drive
FR JOE’S DEPARTURE: MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN FR KEVIN O’DRISCOLL
Dear Friends, as Dean of our Slough Pastoral Area I am sorry to tell you that after many years of faithful work priests belonging to the Missionary Society of Saint Paul will no longer be ministering in parishes in our Diocese of Northampton. This has a particular effect in our own Area because it means that Fr. Joseph Udoh will be leaving Our Lady of Peace parish and Fr. Francis Eyo will be leaving St. Ethelbert’s. They will be moving in the week following Sunday, 20th March.
This is a matter of great sadness for their fellow priests but, most of all, for the two parish communities that are affected. We thank Fr Joseph and Fr Francis for all they have done for the Church in Slough and we wish them every happiness in their new appointments. I hope you have an opportunity to say goodbye to them and I am sure you will remember them in your prayers. Bishop David will appoint new priests to the two parishes but there may be some delay before permanent appointments can be made. In the meantime, I know that parishioners and local priests will work together to make sure that parish life is maintained.
Kevin O’Driscoll, Holy Family, Langley.
WE WELCOME Bishop David to the Parish this weekend, Bishop David is carrying out his Pastoral visit and will be celebrating at all the Masses.
PARISH OFFICE In line with Government changes and Diocesan guidelines, Yvonne, as Parish Secretary, will work from home two days per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.00am to 2.00pm, and will be working in the office on Mondays and Fridays, from 9.00am to 2.00pm. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
DECEASED Please pray for Henryk Stanislaw Pelka RIP who died recently, his Requiem Mass will be in Our Lady of Peace Church on Monday 14th March at 1.15pm followed by burial at Slough Cemetery (please note change of date). Also please pray for John Pace RIP who died last week, his Requiem Mass will be on Tuesday, 29th March at 12noon, followed by burial at Slough Cemetery. May their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed, rest in peace, Amen.
OFFERTORY COLLECTION For the weekend 6th March amounted to £917.93. Donations from the contactless digital collection plate for February amounted to £355.58. Many thanks for your continuing support to the Parish.
SYNOD FEEDBACK PUBLISHED As promised, the results of the parish Synod are now available. We now have two documents (the links are below) which form the basis of the opinions of our parish on our church for today and for the future. This is an important time for our parish and presents a real opportunity to invoke positive change to help our church to flourish and to grow. Please do take a little time to read and see what people said. You can download your copies from the parish website or request a printed version from Yvonne at the Parish office by phoning 01628 605764, or emailing: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org In the coming weeks, we will organise a gathering to discuss and plan next steps. Watch out for the date and invite which will be open to all.
STATIONS OF THE CROSS will be celebrated during Lent as follows:
- Each Sunday after 11.30am Mass in St Andrew’s.
- Each Monday in Our Lady of Peace from 7.00pm to 8.00pm during Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
- During Lent each Thursday in St Andrew’s Church, Seven Words, from 10.00am to 10.15am.
RETIRING COLLECTION FOR THE POOR will be taken after Stations of the Cross.
CAFOD FAMILY FAST DAY Friday, 11th March. Please return your Fast Day envelope this weekend, 12th – 13th March in the retiring collection. Thank you so much for supporting CAFOD’s Family Fast Day.
CONGRATULATIONS to Joseph Mangan who will be Baptised on Saturday, 19th March, please pray for Joseph, his parents, grandparents and Godparents.
CONFIRMATION 2022 We are giving another opportunity up to Monday, 14th March for young people in Year 9 or above who would like to join this year’s confirmation programme to turn in their application to the parish priest. Classes are beginning soon.
CRISIS IN UKRAINE Please keep all those affected by this conflict in your prayers.
Loving God, we pray for the people of Ukraine, for all those suffering or afraid, that you will be close to them and protect them. We pray for world leaders, for compassion, strength and wisdom to guide their choices. We pray for the world that in this moment of crisis, we may reach out in solidarity to our brothers and sisters in need. May we walk in your ways so that peace and justice become a reality for the people of Ukraine and for all the world. Amen
COVID There is still a risk associated with gathering for sustained periods in enclosed spaces and therefore we will continue to monitor our practices in the Churches to ensure we are as Covid secure as possible. Inside Churches we encourage you to continue to wear a mask if possible. There will be no social distancing but please be sensitive to the needs of others around you. For those wishing to maintain social distance the right-hand side aisle (looking at the altar) will be reserved for this purpose.
The sign of peace can be re-introduced, and holy water stoups filled up again. We should continue to ensure there is good ventilation, balancing this against the need for church heating, especially at this time. If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, stay at home. If you tested positive for COVID-19 and were in Church recently, stay at home and inform us immediately by calling 01628 605764 so that we can take the necessary steps. Thank you for your continued vigilance.
THE UNIVERSE CATHOLIC WEEKLY is thrilled to announce that we have launched our new online newspaper with the full support of our first subscriber none other than His Eminence Cardinal Vincent Nichols. Order your Digital 4 weeks FREE trial supply by calling Michelle on 0743 661 7650 or email: michelle.jones[AT]universecatholicweekly.co.uk
CSCT The trustees of St Andrew’s will be holding their AGM on Tuesday 15th March at 7.30pm in St Andrew’s Church. All parishioners are invited to attend and would be very welcome.
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, on Wednesday, 16th March there will be Lectio Divina and Reflections, preceded by the Stations of the Cross, the Speaker will be Bro Bade. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
NATIONAL NOVENA TO ST JOSEPH, 2022. This year’s Novena to St Joseph will take place at St Joseph’s, Maidenhead between Thursday, 10th March and Friday, 18th March. Masses from St Joseph’s can also be joined online via Zoom at 7.30pm on weekdays and at 10.00am, Saturday, 12th and at 11.00am, Sunday, 13th March. To access the link please visit MHM website – www.millhillmissionaries.com/novena or for petition slip, prayer booklet or newsletter email – novenamhm[AT]gmail.com
SPIRIT & LIGHT WORSHIP invite you on Friday, 18th March to St Andrew’s Church from 8.00pm to 9.00pm in thanksgiving for grace received. We will adore the Lord Jesus through Scripture, Music and Worship. Please call 07957 594646 for more information.
STELLA MARIS On the one-year anniversary of the Ever Given ship getting stuck in the Suez Canal, Catholic charity Stella Maris (Apostleship of the Sea) is hosting a webinar about modernisation in the shipping industry. It will look at the history of the container ship, the rise of the ultra-large container vessels, and explore what impact modernisation of the shipping industry has had on seafarers around the world. Please register now at www.stellamaris.org.uk/modernisation to join online on 23rd March at 7.30pm to hear how shipping has changed in the last century, the impact this is having on seafarers today, and the important role Stella Maris has in supporting them.
ADoRE Online spiritual mini-retreat morning. 26th March 2022, 10.00am-1.00pm with Mass, Adoration, Reflection, Praise, Talk, Prayer and Discussion. Theme: “Your Kingdom Come” – we are called to be Kingdom Ambassadors. Our special guest speaker is Fr Simon Penhalagan, formerly Chaplain to the Sion Community, now Episcopal Vicar for Mission in Northampton Diocese. Please register for the Zoom meeting in advance at bit.ly/ADOREMAR2022
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER COPIES OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
MASS BOOKINGS Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Joseph. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation Our online giving platform provider, VirginMoneyGiving closed their online giving platform for charities at the end of November 2021. We are now using a new provider ‘Invest My Community’ who work with other Catholic Diocese, schools and charities. You can access our online giving page via the donate button on our Diocesan Website or by using the following link https://northamptondiocese.org/donate/ If you would like to use this facility to make your regular, one off donations please ensure you indicate this along with the name of your parish, and any other message detail in the ‘Public Message’ box. Please note this information is not made visible to the public.
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only. There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
- Contactless Donations 💳 We have installed ‘Digital Collection Plate’ contactless terminals in the Churches, allowing you to donate using a contactless debit/credit card, NFC smartphone or watch. Simply enter the amount you wish to donate and hold your card (or NFC device) to the reader. You can also opt-in for Gift Aid to increase your donation by 25%. If you are a UK taxpayer then donating with Gift Aid means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 received.
- Parish Donations Portal 💳 After a successful trial of the physical digital collection plate in our Churches, we are pleased to announce that a web portal is now available as a queue-free alternative. Either use the link (Gift Aid giving is available using one-time registration): https://portal.mydona.com/assets/webPay/index.php?cid=419 or with your QR code reader mobile app, scan the code in the printed newsletter, click on the link to mydona.com, and it will give you the same options available on the Digital Plate in Church. Also look out for the DONATE HERE sign with QR Code in the Church. Thank you.
N.B. To access this service, select links titled: Parish Donations Portal.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
March 12th – March 20th
Sunday Readings: Year C.
Weekday Readings: Cycle II.
Universalis – Daily Mass Readings (updates automatically).
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
March 12th – March 20th
|Saturday 12th March | SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Peter Truman RIP (Foundation); Nneka Intentions (Rosary Group)
|Sunday 13th March | SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Mai & David Knibbs Intentions (P&C); Special Intention (Flynn)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Ellen & Grinton Sepala RIP (K Ratna & Sepala); David Whitehouse RIP (Whitehouse); Natale Fuscaldo RIP (Anniversary) (Fuscaldo); People of the Parish
|Monday 14th March|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Alan Rosemeyer RIP (Potter); Teresa Bassey RIP (Rosary Group); Margherita Siragusa RIP (Hamed)
1.15pm Our Lady of Peace – Requiem Mass for Henryk Pelka RIP
7.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Stations of the Cross
|Tuesday 15th March|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Nora Molloy 90th Birthday Int. (Aoife & Niamh); Peter Snell RIP (O’Donnell); Jose Tharakan RIP (Kuthokathen)
|Thursday 17th March | ST PATRICK, Bishop – Patron of Ireland|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Kathleen Galea RIP (Galea); Dion Agnelo Fernandes Int. (Birthday) (Family)
10.00am St Andrew’s – Seven Words
|Friday 18th March|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Florence Intentions (Rosary Group); Stewart Gordon RIP (Shiels)
8.00pm St Andrew’s – Spirit & Light Worship
|Saturday 19th March | THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Marie Oke Intentions (P&C); Jennifer Quille RIP (Quille)
|Sunday 20th March | THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – For newly Confirmed members of our Parish Family, Parents, Godparents & Grandparents, and Vera McLoughlin Intentions (Rosary Group); Robert McClintock RIP (Anniversary) (McClintock)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Susan Chukwudi RIP (Chukwudi); People of the Parish
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2022 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE