THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT (YEAR C)
LIGHT THE ADVENT CANDLE Each weekend of Advent we will be singing one verse and refrain from a Hymn at the beginning of Mass as the Advent Candle is lit. Each week the verse and lyrics are dedicated to the candle being lit and will be advised in the Bulletin.
Third Sunday of Advent
Light the Advent candle, three:
think of heavenly harmony;
angels singing “Peace on earth”
at the blessed Saviour’s birth.
Candle, candle, burning bright,
shining in the cold winter night;
candle, candle, burning bright,
fill our hearts with Christmas light.
MASS CHANGE Please note Mass in Our Lady of Peace on Tuesday, 14th December will be at 7.00pm, there will be no Mass at 9.30am.
LOVE Christmas – OUR LADY OF PEACE GIVING TREE We are invited (by Caritas and the Diocese) to take part in the ‘Love Christmas’ campaign which aims to provide some joy and happiness to those most in need this Christmas, by reaching out and letting people know we are with them, and they are not alone. Our Christmas Giving Tree provides us with the means to do this and your gift could make a world of difference. By selecting a label, you can purchase a gift (to suit your own budget) for the person listed. In some cases the gifts are suggested.
Please wrap the gift and mark up as appropriate (Male/Female/Boy+age/Girl+age). If you would like to include a Christmas card too, it will be warmly welcomed. Often the best cards are those made at home by children. Please return your wrapped gift no later than 16th December. Love Christmas is a national initiative, growing through a network of thousands of churches and other local organisations, connecting people of all faiths and none.
CONGRATULATIONS to our beloved 18 young people confirmed by Bishop David on December 9th at Our Lady of Peace. We would like to sincerely thank the parents, Catechists, Parish Secretary, Welcomers. Servers, Sacristan, Choir and all parishioners who made this possible.
DECEASED Please pray for Irena Pacula RIP who died recently, her Requiem Mass will be on Monday, 20th December at 1.00pm in St Andrew’s, followed by committal at Slough Crematorium. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace, Amen.
ADVENT RECONCILIATION SERVICE opportunity for the Sacrament of Reconciliation with visiting Priests in Our Lady of Peace Church on Tuesday, 21st December at 7.00pm.
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES FOR CONFESSION as follows :
St Andrew’s : Thursday, 16th December between 8.30am – 9.30am.
Our Lady of Peace : Saturday, 18th December between 4.45pm – 5.45pm.
CHRISTMAS FLOWERS There will be a retiring collection this weekend for the flowers for Christmas. Our flower ladies who do the flowers each week produce beautiful displays and work hard throughout the year. Please be as generous as you can.
CHRISTMAS SERVICES A booking system will be in operation to safely manage numbers at services in Our Lady of Peace (5.00pm Children’s Mass on Christmas Eve, 11.30pm Vigil followed by Midnight Mass, and 9.30am Christmas Day), to ensure maximum safety for all and will be done on a first come, first served basis. Booking is not required for 26th or 27th December. Bookings can be made by telephone or email (see details below). Please do not telephone the Presbytery but instead use the dedicated email address or telephone number to book your places and please also ensure you book only one service per person or group. Email olopxmasservices[AT]gmail.com or telephone 07869 932246. No bookings required for St Andrew’s services.
CHRISTMAS CHURCH CLEANING This will take place on Saturday, 18th December at 8.30am. Please come along and try and spare an hour to help clean the Church in preparation for our Christmas services. Mince pies and tea/coffee will be supplied!
A MESSAGE FROM THE DIOCESAN FINANCE TEAM As the Catholic Bishops of England and Wales have decided to continue to offer a dispensation of the obligation to attend Sunday Mass, we know that many people will not be returning to Churches this Christmas. We also know that many people still wish to offer a gift to their Priests for the sacrifices they make throughout the year. If you would like to offer a gift to your Priest this Christmas, please call 01604 712065 between 9.00am-5.00pm from Monday 20th – Thursday 23rd and 9.00am-1.00pm on Friday, 24th December. A member of the team would love to hear from you. You can also make your Christmas gifts by using the various online giving platforms detailed in the FINANCE/DONATE section of the newsletter and website respectively. Please use the reference: Christmas Gift.
OFFERTORY COLLECTION For the weekend 5th December 2021 amounted to £936.11. These figures do not include donations from the contactless digital collection plate. Many thanks for your continuing support to the Parish. £141.20 donated on Dec 8th and Dec 9th at Masses of The Immaculate Conception and Confirmation has been added to the Poor Fund.
SCRIPTURAL ROSARY The Rosary Group are meeting in Our Lady of Peace Church to recite a Scriptural Rosary on Monday, 13th December at 10.00am. All parishioners are most welcome to attend. Any queries please email Denise on dennymcclintock73[AT]sky.com
ADVENT children’s books, Infant and Junior, are available in the Church porches, priced £1. Please let us know if you would like the adult advent book.
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, the talk for Wednesday 15th December will be The Eucharist the Speaker will be Deacon Lanre. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
LIGHTHOUSE BURNHAM will be Carol singing on Monday, 20th December at 7.00pm at Tesco, Taplow, to spread some festive cheer, raise desperately needed money for Lighthouse and remind people they are still here! Please, please join us, do not worry if you cannot sing! Carol sheets will be provided.
ONLINE RETREAT Mondays through Advent starting 29th November 2021, 7.30-8.30pm. Join Canon John Udris and Avril Baigent for an online retreat helping us to pause, reflect and encounter the Lord. Join our online community on a Monday night or watch afterwards. To book go to – https://lift_up_your_eyes.eventbrite.co.uk
SYNOD Online Webinar: Online Local Listener Training: Saturday, 15th January 2022, 10.00am – 12noon, “Listening at the Margins, how can we do it?” Book Here: https://synod_margins.eventbrite.co.uk
TWO WEEK NEWSLETTER Next week’s newsletter will be for two weeks, then back to weekly from the weekend 1st – 2nd January 2022, the deadline for notices will be Thursday, 30th December 2021 by 12noon. Please email notices to Yvonne on yvonnecaff[AT]talktalk.net, or drop in the Presbytery door.
CAFOD Please have a look at their World Gifts magazine and poster “The true spirit of Christmas Giving 2021-2022” located in the Church porches. Check out the full range of gifts available online: Last date for ordering 15th December at www.cafod.org.uk/worldgift
FREE CATHOLIC POST Please help yourself to a free copy of The Catholic Post.
THE UNIVERSE – CATHOLIC WEEKLY is thrilled to announce that they have launched their new online newspaper with the full support of their first subscriber none other than His Eminence Cardinal Vincent Nichols. Order your Digital copy by going to www.universecatholicweekly.co.uk or call on 0743661 7650 and ask for Michelle. Special offer: Only £20 for 3 months.
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne is in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.00am to 2.00pm. On Mondays and Fridays from 9.00am to 2.00pm she works from home. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for notices is Thursday by 12noon.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER COPIES OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
MASS BOOKINGS Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Joseph. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
- Proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of Mass and services.
- Please provide contact details on entry. We have a number of methods (QR code, form or tick list). The NHS QR App can be found via this link: https://covid19.nhs.uk/.
- After Mass, please stay seated until a Steward advises when you can safely leave.
- To light a candle after Mass, please wait until others have left and advise a Steward.
- Doors will remain open for proper ventilation – do wrap up well before coming to Mass.
- Please avoid congregating in the car park in groups – in line with Government guidance.
- If you need to speak to Fr Joseph please contact the office by phone or email to set up a time: Phone (01628 605764). E-mail (frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org).
Thank you for your cooperation and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option, we ask that you please indicate in the notes section which parish, including the parish name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish: northamptondiocese.org/donate/
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only. There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
- Contactless Donations 💳 We have installed ‘Digital Collection Plate’ contactless terminals in the Churches, allowing you to donate using a contactless debit/credit card, NFC smartphone or watch. Simply enter the amount you wish to donate and hold your card (or NFC device) to the reader. You can also opt-in for Gift Aid to increase your donation by 25%. If you are a UK taxpayer then donating with Gift Aid means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 received.
- Parish Donations Portal 💳 After a successful trial of the physical digital collection plate in our Churches, we are pleased to announce that a web portal is now available as a queue-free alternative. Either use the link (Gift Aid giving is available using one-time registration): https://portal.mydona.com/assets/webPay/index.php?cid=419 or with your QR code reader mobile app, scan the code in the printed newsletter, click on the link to mydona.com, and it will give you the same options available on the Digital Plate in Church. Also look out for the DONATE HERE sign with QR Code in the Church. Thank you.
N.B. To access this service, select links titled: Parish Donations Portal.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
December 11th – December 19th
Sunday Readings: Year C.
Weekday Readings: Cycle II
Universalis – Daily Mass Readings (updates automatically).
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
December 11th – December 19th
|Saturday 11th December | THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Kathleen Galea RIP (Galea); Jack & Daphne Lavender RIP, Clarry & Winifred Murphy RIP and Julia Murphy RIP (P&C)
|Sunday 12th December | THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Cyril Maasch RIP (Birthday Remb.) (McClintock); Jim Deignan RIP (Anniversary) (Deignan); Italia Clementoni RIP (Anniversary) (Lucia)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Thanksgiving to Our Lady of Guadalupe (Millie); People of the Parish
|Monday 13th December | ST LUCY, Virgin, Martyr|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Ann Marie family Intentions (Rosary Group);
Paddy Gallagher & Sheila Knight RIP (Edward)
|Tuesday 14th December | ST JOHN OF THE CROSS, Priest, Doctor of the Church|
N.B. No 9.30am Mass today
7.00pm Our Lady of Peace LS – Josie Walsh Int. (P&C);Mc Cann family Int; Maria Swenshen RIP (Boundy)
|Thursday 16th December|
8.30am St Andrew’s Confessions
9.30am St Andrew’s – Denis Sugrue RIP (Sugrue); Goudie & Carvalho Family Intentions
|Friday 17th December|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Marie Oke Intentions (P&C); Mr & Mrs Benedict RIP, Anthony, Gerrard and Emmanuel Benedict RIP (Benedict)
|Saturday 18th December | FOURTH SUNDAY OF ADVENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
4.45pm-5.45pm Our Lady of Peace – Confessions
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Sr Mary Joseph Intentions (P&C); Desmond & Barbara Reilly RIP (Boundy)
|Sunday 19th December | FOURTH SUNDAY OF ADVENT|
Mass Readings (Year C)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Anne Maasch RIP (Anniversary) (McClintock); Richard Quille RIP (4th Anniversary) (Quille); Michael O’Connor RIP, Donal O’Connor RIP, Eily Hamberger RIP & Georgina Vaughan RIP (Edward)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Leela & Cedrica Intentions (Millie); People of the Parish
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2022 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE