TWENTY NINTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR (YEAR B)
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has returned to working four days per week, from 9.00am to 2.00pm, as follows: Monday and Friday working from home, Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Parish office. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
MASS CHANGE Please note Mass on Tuesday, 19th October at 9.30am will be in St Andrew’s Church, there will be no 9.30am Mass in Our Lady of Peace Church.
CONGRATULATIONS to Nico Jacob Whorms and Teddy Joe Maurice Alexander who will receive the Sacrament of Baptism on Saturday, 23rd October in Our Lady of Peace. Please pray for Nico and Teddy, their parents, Grandparents and Godparents.
WORLD MISSION SUNDAY 24th October, will be observed and supported by every Parish in the Universal Church. Pope Francis chooses a theme from the Acts of the Apostles (4.20) “We cannot but speak about what we have seen and heard”. In our present-day situation, our faith still tells us exactly that and, further, means we cannot ignore the plight of our sisters and brothers who live in perilous circumstances in various parts of the world. This year the spotlight falls on Nigeria, particularly in the Kaduna area. You will find a Gift Aid envelope at your disposal at Mass today. Please be as generous as possible to support our Missionaries in their hard work and return it next week. Poverty is at the root of the matter. Different ways of donating are printed on the envelope and, of course, your Prayers are invaluable.
FR JOSEPH You are invited to celebrate Fr Joseph’s 50th Birthday and 18th Priestly Anniversary Thanksgiving on Friday, 22nd October in St Andrew’s Church, Mass at 6.00pm followed by a celebration. RSVP by email to Yvonne on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org by 19th October.
SCRIPTURAL ROSARY The Rosary Group are meeting in Our Lady of Peace Church to recite a Scriptural Rosary on Monday, 18th October at 10.00am. All parishioners are most welcome to attend. Any queries please email Denise on dennymcclintock73[AT]sky.com
THE PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR THE SYNOD:
Adsumus Sancte Spiritus
We stand before You, Holy Spirit, as we gather together in Your name.
With You alone to guide us, make Yourself at home in our hearts;
Teach us the way we must go and how we are to pursue it.
We are weak and sinful; do not let us promote disorder. Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path
nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity so that we may journey together to eternal life
and not stray from the way of truth and what is right.
All this we ask of You, who are at work in every place and time, in the communion of the Father and the Son, forever and ever. Amen.
Every session of the Second Vatican Council began with the prayer Adsumus Sancte Spiritus, the first word of the Latin original meaning, “We stand before You, Holy Spirit,” which has been historically used at Councils, Synods and other Church gatherings for hundreds of years, being attributed to Saint Isidore of Seville (c. 560 – 4 April 636). As we are called to embrace this synodal path of the Synod 2021-2023, this prayer invites the Holy Spirit to operate within us so that we may be a community and a people of grace. For the Synod 2021-2023, we propose to use this simplified version, so that any group or liturgical assembly can pray more easily. For further resources see www.synod.va
SCHOOL FORMS Fr Joseph will be signing School forms on Monday, 18th October and Monday, 25th October between 5.00pm and 7.00pm. Please come along to the Presbytery for your forms to be signed.
OUR LADY OF PEACE CATHOLIC PRIMARY AND NURSERY SCHOOL are selling a piano for £50 or nearest offer. If you are interested please contact Louise Woods (PA to Headteacher) at pa[AT]olopprimary.co.uk.
CAR PARKING When using the carpark at Our Lady of Peace Church, please drive down into the carpark, and avoid parking at the entrance to the carpark on the yellow box. In case of an emergency this needs to be kept clear at all times.
ECO FAIR at St Peter’s Church, Burnham, this Sunday, 17th October from 1.00pm to 3.30pm. Clothes sale/swap, toiletry refill, dried goods refill, Dan’s refill store household cleaning products, book sale/swap, crafts, local produce, regifting stall and more. Please bring your own containers for refills.
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, the talk for Wednesday 20th October will be Encountering the Holy Spirit, the Speaker will be Philomena Nortey. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
CONFIRMATION programme: Eighth session will be on Thursday, 21st October and will be held in Our Lady of Peace at 6.00pm.
PRIESTHOOD DISCERNMENT DAY to be held at Holy Family Church in Luton, LU3 3TA on Saturday 23rd October 2021, 10.00am to 5.00pm. This is for men who may be considering the possibility of Priesthood and would like to explore the idea further. For more information, please contact the Diocesan Vocations Director, Fr Andy Richardson, on 01582 502400, or via email at vocationsdirector[AT]northamptondiocese.org.
ROSARY GROUP High Wycombe. You are invited to another beautiful evening of prayer, litanies, readings and Rosary, with music to praise and worship the Lord, at St Augustine’s, Amersham Hill, High Wycombe, on Wednesday 27th October at 7.30pm. Do come along and bring friends and family. The blessings flow freely.
DIVINE ADORATION, High Wycombe. You are invited to a beautiful evening of Eucharistic Adoration, including praise and worship and prayer ministry, at St Augustine’s, 24 Amersham Hill, High Wycombe, HP13 6NZ on Saturday, 13th November at 7.00pm. Parking is limited in the Church carpark but there is plenty of parking across the road.
KNOCK PILGRIMAGE 2021 In honour of the Holy Souls we are going on a Divine Mercy Pilgrimage to Knock from Thursday 18th November to Monday 22nd November 2021. The cost of the Pilgrimage is £450 which includes return flights from Gatwick on Aer Lingus, half board, twin bedded room with en-suite facilities, 10 Kg hand luggage, return coach transfers from Knock Airport to hotel and Knock Airport tax. Additional supplement for single rooms Please call Millie on 07957 594646 if you would like to join this Divine Mercy Pilgrimage.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER COPIES OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for notices is Thursday by 12noon.
FACE MASKS Many thanks to all who have donated disposable face masks. We remind you that proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of services.
MASS BOOKING Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Joseph. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
- Proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of Mass and services.
- Please provide contact details on entry. We have a number of methods (QR code, form or tick list). The NHS QR App can be found via this link: https://covid19.nhs.uk/.
- After Mass, please stay seated until a Steward advises when you can safely leave.
- To light a candle after Mass, please wait until others have left and advise a Steward.
- Doors will remain open for proper ventilation – do wrap up well before coming to Mass.
- Please avoid congregating in the car park in groups – in line with Government guidance.
- If you need to speak to Fr Joseph please contact the office by phone or email to set up a time: Phone (01628 605764). E-mail (frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org).
Thank you for your cooperation and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option, we ask that you please indicate in the notes section which parish, including the parish name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish: northamptondiocese.org/donate/
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
- Contactless Donations 💳 We have installed ‘Digital Collection Plate’ contactless terminals in the Churches, allowing you to donate using a contactless debit/credit card, NFC smartphone or watch. Simply enter the amount you wish to donate and hold your card (or NFC device) to the reader. You can also opt-in for Gift Aid to increase your donation by 25%. If you are a UK taxpayer then donating with Gift Aid means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 received.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
October 16th – October 24th
Sunday Readings: Year B
Weekday Readings: Cycle I
Universalis – Daily Mass Readings (updates automatically).
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
October 16th – October 24th
|Saturday 16th October | TWENTY NINTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Bartley Coyne family Int. (Rosary Group); Padraig Barker RIP (Anniversary) (Barker)
|Sunday 17th October | TWENTY NINTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Jose Tharakan RIP (3rd Anniv.) (Kuthokathen); Audrey Truman family Int. (Rosary Group);
11.30am St Andrew’s – Thanksgiving for Granddaughter Lana (Zeena); Bridget McGarry (Birthday Intentions) (McGarry); People of the Parish
|Monday 18th October | ST LUKE, Evangelist|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Mann (Foundation); Conversion of Indifferent Hearts (Rosary Group)
|Tuesday 19th October | ST JOHN DE BREBEUF & COMPANIONS, Martyrs|
*N.B. No Mass at Our Lady of Peace today*
9.30am St Andrew’s – Fr Tony Bassey Anniversary Intentions (Rosary Group); Mary Hamed family Intentions (Rosary Group)
|Thursday 21st October|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Pat Ryan RIP (Ryan); Lanri Intentions (Gatt); St John Paul II for Adoration Community in Thanksgiving (Millie)
|Friday 22nd October | ST JOHN PAUL II, Pope|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Donal O’Connor RIP (Anniversary) (Mairin & Brid); Martyrs of Albania ‘Pray for Us’ (Rosary Group); Confirmation Candidates, Parents, Grandparents and Godparents (Rosary Group)
6.00pm St Andrew’s – Fr Joseph Ordination Anniversary & Birthday Int.
|Saturday 23rd October | THIRTIETH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Janet Rowe family Intentions (Rosary Group); Judy Creedon RIP (O’Shea)
|Sunday 24th October | THIRTIETH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Pat Rowe RIP (Rosary Group); Florence & Antoni Family Intentions (Rosary Group); Ian Shorter RIP (Mc Clintock)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Sr Mary Stella and Community (P&C); People of the Parish
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2021 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE