TWENTY EIGHTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR (YEAR B)
Go to: Notices | Public Mass Downloads | Parish Donations | Masses & Intentions | Our Facebook Page | Our Youtube Channel
- View/download the printed newsletter
- Year of St Joseph: introduction and prayers (PDF)
PARISH MASS COUNT Week four of our annual Parish Mass count.
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has returned to working four days per week, from 9.00am to 2.00pm, as follows: Monday and Friday working from home, Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Parish office. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
CONGRATULATIONS to Isaac Jonathan Cardosa who will receive the Sacrament of Baptism on Sunday, 10th October in Our Lady of Peace. Please pray for Isaac, his parents, Grandparents and Godparents.
CAFOD FAMILY FAST DAY Harvest Fast Day retiring collection this weekend 9th-10th October.
300 CLUB the Autumn 300 Club draw took place before the St Vincent de Paul (SVP) meeting on Tuesday evening. The results were : 1st Prize No 48 June Shaw £60. 2nd Prize No 12 Joan Mariszcak £40. 3rd Prize No 10 Liz Jenkins £25.
SCHOOLS SUNDAY is 10th October, the 28th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B. We welcome the children and teachers of Our Lady of Peace Primary and Nursery School to the 9.30 Mass. In the first reading for the Sunday we hear: “I prayed and understanding was given me, I entreated and the Spirit of Wisdom came to me” [Wisdom 7:7] This takes up our mission as Catholic schools to form people in the wisdom of God.
PRISONERS’ SUNDAY : 10TH OCTOBER is the national day of prayer and action for prisoners and their dependents as marked by the Catholic Church and across the Christian denominations. It is a day to direct our thoughts and prayers to prisoners, their families and children.
THE PRISONS WEEK PRAYER
Lord, you offer freedom to all people. We pray for those in prison. Break the bonds of fear and isolation that exist. Support with your love prisoners and their families and friends, prison staff and all who care. Heal those who have been wounded by the actions of others, especially the victims of crime. Help us to forgive one another, to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly together with Christ in his strength and in his Spirit, now and every day. Amen
CAR PARKING When using the carpark at Our Lady of Peace Church, please drive down into the carpark, and avoid parking at the entrance to the carpark on the yellow box. In case of an emergency this needs to be kept clear at all times.
KEEPING SAFE It is wonderful to see more people at Mass as each week goes by and we continue to encourage you to get both vaccinations as soon as you are invited. In the meantime, as regulations are being lifted by Government, we remain responsible and vigilant, maintaining best possible standards of safety. I am asking you to:
- come to Mass
- wear face covering throughout the duration of services
- sanitize your hands on arrival and departure
- allow the stewards to show you to your seats
- socially distance
- follow the direction of the stewards when approaching the sanctuary for Holy Communion
- sing only if you are invited to do so
I am sure you would join in me in thanking our stewards and volunteers who have been so generous in their service. Thank you, once again, for your cooperation and your patience, which can only serve to keep you and everyone around you safe.
OFFERTORY COLLECTION Our weekly collection for weekend 3rd October 2021 amounted to £583.82. The retiring collection held recently for the Missionaries of St Paul amounted to £445.25. These figures do not include donations from the contactless digital collection plate. Many thanks for your continuing support to the Parish.
OUR LADY OF PEACE CATHOLIC PRIMARY AND NURSERY SCHOOL are selling a piano for £50 or nearest offer. If you are interested please contact Louise Woods (PA to Headteacher) at pa[AT]olopprimary.co.uk.
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, the topic for Wednesday 13th October will be Lectio Divina and Reflections with Rosary, the Speaker will be Deacon Michael. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
CONFIRMATION programme: Seventh session will be on Thursday, 14th October and will be held in Our Lady of Peace at 6.00pm.
BAPTISM COURSE Fr Joseph will be holding a Baptism course, via Zoom, on Tuesday, 12th October between 6.00pm and 8.00pm. This course is for ‘first time’ parents who wish to have their child Baptised over the next few months. Both Parents and Godparents are required to be at the course. Please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org to register to join.
DIOCESAN MASS FOR MARRIED LIFE Bishop David Oakley invites you to The Diocesan Mass for Married Life, at The Cathedral of Our Lady Immaculate & St Thomas of Canterbury, Kingsthorpe Road, Northampton, NN2 6AG on Saturday, 16th October. Gathering from 11.30am followed by Mass at 12 noon. Bishop David will give his pastoral blessing to those couples celebrating significant milestones in their marriage i.e. 1, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years etc. If you are celebrating such a milestone please contact Eamonn and Paola McMorrow on 07412 151517 or at mass.mfl[AT]northamptondiocese.org All are very welcome to attend. In line with Government guidelines social distancing will be adhered to in the Cathedral and afterwards in the new Cathedral Centre where refreshments will be available after Mass.
PRIESTHOOD DISCERNMENT DAY to be held at Holy Family Church in Luton, LU3 3TA on Saturday 23rd October 2021, 10.00am to 5.00pm. This is for men who may be considering the possibility of Priesthood and would like to explore the idea further. For more information, please contact the Diocesan Vocations Director, Fr Andy Richardson, on 01582 502400, or via email at vocationsdirector[AT]northamptondiocese.org.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER COPIES OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for notices is Thursday by 12noon.
OUR LADY OF PEACE CATHOLIC PRIMARY AND NURSERY SCHOOL require Administrative Officer to start November 2021. Permanent & term time only plus one week. Hours: 37 worked 8.30am – 4.30pm Monday – Thursday & 8.30am – 4.00pm Friday (half an hour lunch). The Headteacher and Governors are seeking to appoint an Administrative Officer to join our friendly Admin team, who will be responsible for ParentPay, School fund accounts, lettings and extra-curriculum clubs.
You will be the first point of contact for visitors to the school ensuring that they are recorded on the electronic signing-in system and responsible for the answering of telephones in a timely and professional manner, re-directing calls to the relevant personnel or taking messages.
The successful candidate will provide a full administrative service including use of Microsoft programmes such as Word and Excel and administer first aid to pupils and staff. Full training will be provided. For an application pack, please contact the PA to the Headteacher, Louise Woods on ext.204 or email: pa[AT]olopprimary.co.uk
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Primary & Nursery School
FACE MASKS Many thanks to all who have donated disposable face masks. We remind you that proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of services.
MASS BOOKING Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Joseph. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
- Proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of Mass and services.
- Please provide contact details on entry. We have a number of methods (QR code, form or tick list). The NHS QR App can be found via this link: https://covid19.nhs.uk/.
- After Mass, please stay seated until a Steward advises when you can safely leave.
- To light a candle after Mass, please wait until others have left and advise a Steward.
- Doors will remain open for proper ventilation – do wrap up well before coming to Mass.
- Please avoid congregating in the car park in groups – in line with Government guidance.
- If you need to speak to Fr Joseph please contact the office by phone or email to set up a time: Phone (01628 605764). E-mail (frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org).
Thank you for your cooperation and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option, we ask that you please indicate in the notes section which parish, including the parish name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish: northamptondiocese.org/donate/
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
- Contactless Donations 💳 We have installed ‘Digital Collection Plate’ contactless terminals in the Churches, allowing you to donate using a contactless debit/credit card, NFC smartphone or watch. Simply enter the amount you wish to donate and hold your card (or NFC device) to the reader. You can also opt-in for Gift Aid to increase your donation by 25%. If you are a UK taxpayer then donating with Gift Aid means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 received.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
October 9th – October 17th
Sunday Readings: Year B
Weekday Readings: Cycle I
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
Universalis – Daily Mass Readings (updates automatically).
October 9th – October 17th
|Saturday 9th October | TWENTY EIGHTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – McCann Family Intentions (O’Donnell); Gabriella Komorka & Family Int. (Rosary Group)
|Sunday 10th October | TWENTY EIGHTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Alma Pepaj & Family (Rosary Group); Bartley Coyne Intentions (Rosary Group); Adele Slowi RIP (Deignan)
11.30am St Andrew’s – For Peace all over the World (Ryan); People of the Parish
|Monday 11th October|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Mark McCafferty RIP (Cafferty); Forgotten Souls of Purgatory (Rosary Group); Antony Int (Denise); Ministers of Holy Communion (McCabe)
|Tuesday 12th October|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Holy Souls (Ryan); SVP (Rosary Group)
|Thursday 14th October|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Special Int. Prole family (Ryan); Carol Int. (Gatt); St John Paul II Zoom Community (Millie)
|Friday 15th October | ST TERESA OF JESUS Virgin, Doctor of the Church|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – John Downie RIP (McCabe); Our suffering Planet (Rosary Group)
|Saturday 16th October | TWENTY NINTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Bartley Coyne family Int. (Rosary Group); Padraig Barker RIP (Anniversary) (Barker)
|Sunday 17th October | TWENTY NINTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Jose Tharakan RIP (3rd Anniv.) (Kuthokathen); Audrey Truman family Int. (Rosary Group);
11.30am St Andrew’s – Thanksgiving for Granddaughter Lana (Zeena); Bridget McGarry (Birthday Intentions) (McGarry); People of the Parish
LS = Mass livestreamed on Facebook and Youtube.
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2021 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE