EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR (YEAR B)
KEEPING SAFE It is wonderful to see more people at Mass as each week goes by and we continue to encourage you to get both vaccinations as soon as you are invited. In the meantime, as regulations are being lifted by Government, we remain responsible and vigilant, maintaining best possible standards of safety. I am asking you to:
- come to Mass
- wear face covering throughout the duration of services
- sanitize your hands on arrival and departure
- allow the stewards to show you to your seats
- socially distance
- follow the direction of the stewards when approaching the sanctuary for Holy Communion
- sing only if you are invited to do so
I am sure you would join in me in thanking our stewards and volunteers who have been so generous in their service. Thank you, once again, for your cooperation and your patience, which can only serve to keep you and everyone around you safe.
“THANK YOU” Fr Joseph wishes to thank all the organisers/attendees of the Parish Picnic/Afternoon tea last Sunday!
SHEKHINAH PRAYER GROUP meet weekly on Wednesdays from 7.00pm to 8.30pm via Zoom. Catholic teachings on different topics and Lectio Divina (Praying the Scriptures) are handled on alternative weeks, the topic for Wednesday, 4th August will be Lectio Divina Reflections. The speaker is Deacon Michael. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Yvonne via email: office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org and a link will be sent to you.
CONFIRMATION The Confirmation programme will begin on Thursday, 12th August. The first session is an introductory session and will be held in Our Lady of Peace at 6.00pm. The second session will be on Thursday, 9th September.
SCRIPTURAL ROSARY The Rosary Group are meeting in Our Lady of Peace Church to recite a Scriptural Rosary on Monday,16th August at 10.30am. All parishioners are most welcome to attend. Any queries please email Denise on dennymcclintock73[AT]sky.com
NORTHAMPTON LITURGY COMMISSION Formation for new and continuing Ministers of Word and Eucharist for Readers and Eucharistic Ministers. Training courses by Zoom for new readers and lay eucharistic ministers will be offered by Zoom in early autumn [September/October]. They will also be useful for those who are already serving in these ministries as a refresher course. Please register in advance to secure a place by email admin[AT]nores.org.uk or phone 01582 723312 (ext 1).
- Readers: Wednesdays 22nd, 29th September and 6th October – 7.30pm-8.30pm.
- Eucharistic Ministers: Wednesdays 3rd, 10th and 17th November – 7.30pm-8.30pm.
ST VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY – LOOKING FOR NEW MEMBERS The St Vincent de Paul Society (England & Wales) is part of an international Christian voluntary network dedicated to tackling poverty in all its forms by providing practical assistance to people in need. Members, motivated by their faith, visit vulnerable or isolated people across England and Wales and offer them friendship and practical support.
The essence of their work is person-to-person contact and spending time with people is their greatest gift. During this time of pandemic, their work has been more valuable than ever.
Despite not being able to carry out personal visits, they have continued to contact people by phone and have been particularly concerned for the mental well-being of those in need.
We have merged the existing SVP Groups from each Parish within the Slough Pastoral Area to create one Slough Conference and are looking for volunteers who would be interested in joining to help those in need in our Parish and the surrounding areas. If you feel you could help with this very worthy cause or would like some more information, please contact the Parish office by email office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org.
CHURCHES TOGETHER IN BURNHAM Annual Summer Picnic. 5th September from 3.00pm-5.00pm, at Burnham Park Hall. A day for fun games, music and food. Just turn up with a picnic or for further details contact rev.vicci[AT]mail.com All are welcome!
BISHOP DAVID has produced a series of short talks focused on ‘The Church’. These videos can be viewed on the Northampton Diocese YouTube channel. Simply type ‘Northampton Diocese’ into the search bar on YouTube and click on ‘The Church’ playlist. All the videos in this series so far will be displayed.
FR JOSEPH EMAIL ADDRESS is as follows: frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org. If you receive an email from Fr Joseph from a similar email please ignore and do not open! Apologies to those who have received any message by email or text purportedly from Fr Joseph soliciting for help. It is the work of hackers!
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has returned to her duties as Parish Secretary, albeit working from home for two days per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.00am to 2.00pm, until further notice. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
A PARISHIONER HAS VERY KINDLY OFFERED TO PRINT AND DELIVER A COPY OF OUR WEEKLY BULLETIN to those unable to attend Mass each week, this would only be posted through the letterbox. If you know of anyone who would like a copy delivered, please contact Yvonne via email or contact the Parish office on 01628 605764. Please obtain the permission of the Parishioner to provide their address to Yvonne.
FEELING ISOLATED? We realise there are many parishioners who are not on our data base who may be feeling isolated from the Parish because they hear nothing from us. To enable us to reach out and find out where people live and how they are managing, we are making a plea for Parishioners to contact people – via telephone or from a 2m distance wearing a mask, who have no access to the internet and encourage them to provide a telephone number to allow us to check on how they are. If you know of any parishioner please let Yvonne know, either via email office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or telephone the office on 01628 605764.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for items for the printed bulletin is Thursday 12 noon.
FACE MASKS Many thanks to all who have donated disposable face masks. We remind you that proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of services.
MASS BOOKING Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Joseph. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
- Restrictions apply on number of attendances at Baptism, funerals, and marriage.
- Proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of Mass and services.
- Please provide contact details on entry. We have a number of methods (QR code, form or tick list). The NHS QR App can be found via this link: https://covid19.nhs.uk/.
- After Mass, please stay seated until a Steward advises when you can safely leave.
- To light a candle after Mass, please wait until others have left and advise a Steward.
- Doors will remain open for proper ventilation – do wrap up well before coming to Mass.
- Please avoid congregating in the car park in groups – in line with Government guidance.
- If you need to speak to Fr Joseph please contact the office by phone or email to set up a time: Phone (01628 605764). E-mail (frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org).
Thank you for your cooperation and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
FINANCES We are extremely grateful, not only for your financial support, but also to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to remain open for Masses.
Your valued ongoing support to the Parish can be made through the following options:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option, we ask that you please indicate in the notes section which parish, including the parish name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish: northamptondiocese.org/donate/
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Youtube
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
July 31st – August 8th
Sunday Readings: Year B
Weekday Readings: Cycle I
Live streaming of Masses at Our Lady of Peace can be found on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
July 31st – August 8th
|Saturday 31st July | EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Eileen McMorrow RIP (Goldberg); McCann (Foundation)
|Sunday 1st August | EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Suzanne Brown RIP (Kuthokathen); Paul & Conceicao Piedade D’Costa RIP; Regina Mugongo (Magoba)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Souls of In-Laws Mr & Mrs Mascarenhas (Zeena); John Oates RIP (Oates); People of the Parish
|Monday 2nd August|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – For Catechists (Rosary Group); Green (Foundation); Michael Jonathan Rodrigues RIP (Rodrigues)
|Tuesday 3rd August|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – John Vint RIP (1st Anniversary) (Vint); Intentions of Liam, Claire and Danny
|Thursday 5th August|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Special Int. (Jenkins); Joanna Int. (Heys); Woodard (Foundation); Thanksgiving to all St Andrew’s Parishioners who prayed and helped us during this time (Adriana and children)
|Friday 6th August | TRANSFIGURATION OF THE LORD|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Miller (Foundation); Boris Johnson Int. (Gawlik)
|Saturday 7th August | NINETEENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Denis Sugrue RIP (5th Anniversary); Dorothy Brooker Intentions (Brooker); Patricia (Patty) Kelly RIP
|Sunday 8th August | NINETEENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
Mass Readings (Year B)
9.30am Our Lady of Peace LS – Lesley Brennan RIP (Anniversary) (Baker); Paul & Conceicao Piedade D’Costa RIP;
11.30am St Andrew’s – Thomas and Millie Sapphire Wedding Anniversary Thanksgiving (Kerry and Nathan); People of the Parish
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2021 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE