THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD (YEAR B)
GRATEFUL THANKS from Fr Joseph for your generous Christmas offering, for all the gifts, cards and good wishes. Yvonne and Denise, also wish to say many thanks for your gifts, cards and good wishes. Thank you also to all who helped in the preparations for the Christmas Masses which proved challenging in difficult times. Wishing you all God’s blessings for the coming year.
FR ANTHONY BASSEY, MSP is looking after the Parish whilst Fr Joseph is taking a well earned break visiting family in Nigeria. Please feel free to email or phone the Parish office with any enquiries.
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has returned to her duties as Parish Secretary, albeit working from home for two days per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.00am to 2.00pm, until further notice. For all Parish matters please contact Yvonne via email on office.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org or Fr Joseph via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
DECEASED We have a number of funerals over the next few weeks, these are as follows:
- ROSE BROPHY RIP Please pray for the repose of the soul of Rose Brophy RIP who died on 28th December, her Requiem Mass will be on Monday, 18th January at 11.00am in Our Lady of Peace, followed by burial at Slough Cemetery.
- ONOFRIO CALTAGIRONE RIP Please pray for the repose of the soul of Onofrio Caltagirone RIP, who died on 2nd January, his Requiem Mass will be on Wednesday, 27th January at 10.30am in Our Lady of Peace, followed by burial at Braywick Cemetery.
- MIKE CONNOLLY RIP Please pray for the repose of the soul of Mike Connolly RIP, who died suddenly on 2nd January, details of his funeral service will be advised in the Bulletin next week.
May their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace, Amen.
CURRENT GOVERNMENT RULES advise that Funerals are allowed with strict limits on attendance, and must only take place in COVID-19 secure venues or in public outdoor spaces, unless in exceptional circumstances. Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people. Details of those attending must be provided to Yvonne before the date of the funeral.
STAYING ALERT As we enter this phase of the pandemic, it is critical we continue to follow Government rules and guidance. If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, stay at home. If you tested positive for COVID-19 and were in Church recently, stay at home and inform us immediately by calling 01628 605764 so that we can take the necessary steps. Thank you for your continued vigilance and please God, we will see the vaccine rollout soon, but in the meantime, stay safe.
300 CLUB The St Andrew’s 300 Club Winter draw took place during a zoom CWL meeting last week. The winners were: 1st Prize £60.00 No 21 Valerie Stewart. 2nd Prize £40.00 No 78 Norman & Marie Grimmette. 3rd Prize £25.00 No 8 Rev Mgr Provost Sean Healy. For various reasons the number of participants in this draw is slowly decreasing and we need 100 members in order to keep the prizes at this level. So, if anyone would like to pay £12.00 per year to take part, please contact Shelagh Whitehouse (01753 516502).
ROTARY CLUB OF BURNHAM BEECHES Mark Thomas, Club President, writes “On behalf of the Rotary Club we thank you and your congregation for the kind and generous support given in our effort to help some of the needy people in our local community. The pandemic has caused so many people to lose their jobs this year, often at short notice, which is upsetting at any time but for it to happen in the period leading up to Christmas is devastating. Our initiative has been to try and offer support to families in the locality who are facing hardship this Christmas. By providing food including the traditional Christmas treats, together with toys, books and games, we have been able to soften the blow to 37 local families, and the magnificent support given by your congregation played a large part in this achievement. Special thanks to Fr Joseph for initiating the support and to Leela in organising the process. Our best wishes to all your congregation.”
FACE MASKS Many thanks to all who have donated disposable face masks. We remind you that proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of services.
MASS BOOKING Kindly drop off your intentions at the Presbytery, place it in the donation box in the Church or give it to Fr Anthony. You can still make a request for Masses by email and telephone.
PARISH ONLINE PRAYER SERVICE A dedicated email has been set up for you to send prayer requests. The email address is: prayerministry.ourladyofpeace[AT]northamptondiocese.org Meanwhile, let us continue to support and pray for one another in the parish.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
- Restrictions apply on number of attendances at Baptism, funerals, and marriage.
- Proper face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth before entering the Church and throughout the duration of Mass and services.
- Please provide contact details on entry. We have a number of methods (QR code, form or tick list). The NHS QR App can be found via this link: https://covid19.nhs.uk/.
- After Mass, please stay seated until a Steward advises when you can safely leave.
- To light a candle after Mass, please wait until others have left and advise a Steward.
- Doors will remain open for proper ventilation – do wrap up well before coming to Mass.
- Please avoid congregating in the car park in groups – in line with Government guidance.
- If you need to speak to Fr Joseph please contact the office by phone or email to set up a time: Phone (01628 605764). E-mail (frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org).
Weekend Mass times are as follows:
|Day||Location||Time||Who can attend|
|Sat||Our Lady of Peace||10.00am||Specifically for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.|
|Sat||Our Lady of Peace||6.00pm||Anyone|
|Sun||Our Lady of Peace||9.30am||Anyone|
If you are concerned about anything, please do not hesitate to contact the Parish office. In the meantime, please feel free to come for private prayers at the times and dates shown below (No private prayer schedule at St Andrew’s):
Private Prayer Sessions (N.B. revised schedule)
|Monday||Our Lady of Peace||7.00pm||8.00pm|
|Friday||Our Lady of Peace||10.00am||12noon|
A donation box is available in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory envelopes, donations, etc.
Thank you for your cooperation and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Yvonne. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Yvonne or Fr Joseph, or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for items for the printed bulletin is Thursday 12 noon.
Tony McNiff, the new Chief Operating Officer, COO of the Diocese, who is head of Finance and Development offices of the diocese has written to introduce himself and to thank you for your contributions. He is appealing on behalf of the diocese for your ongoing financial support. His letter also gives update on the sad financial impact of the COVID 19 on diocesan income, with loses for 6 months up to September 2020 amounting to £1.7m and our parish losing 55% of parish income for the same period. Full text of Tony’s letter is available in the Church and on the parish website.
We are ever so grateful for your financial support, and to the volunteers who help in so many ways for the Church to open again for Masses and for private prayer.
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – Telephone Donation In addition to the online donation facilities currently available, the Diocese has begun a ‘Giving Tuesday’. Each Tuesday between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can call this number, 01604 712065, and donate to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option, we ask that you please indicate in the notes section which parish, including the parish name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish: northamptondiocese.org/donate/
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish. The information required to make the donation is as follows:
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough or Parish Priest’s Easter offering.
- Standing Order using the form: https://northamptondiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/GAD-general-June-18-v2-revision.pdf You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
January 9th – January 17th
Sunday Readings: Year B
Weekday Readings: Cycle I
N.B. Changes and new events are in bold text.
Join Live streaming of Masses on
Facebook: ourladyofpeacecatholicchurchburnham or YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q
January 9th – January 17th
|Saturday 9th January | THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD|
🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – Kay & Vince Intentions (Shiels)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Sr Mary Stella & Sr Mary Joseph Int. (P&C)
|Sunday 10th January | THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Rosary Group Intentions
11.30am St Andrew’s – Michele Di Gangi RIP (Boundy); People of the Parish
|Monday 11th January|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Fr Adrian Waler RIP & Deceased relatives (Rosary Group)
|Tuesday 12th January|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Mossie & Sheila Kerins RIP (O’Donnell)
|Thursday 14th January|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Angela O’Donnell RIP (O’Donnell)
|Friday 15th January|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Nude Byron Intentions (Madden); Subhas Gracias RIP (Almeida)
|Saturday 16th January | SECOND SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – Yvonne & Des Intentions (Shiels)
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Anna & Wojcek Kmiecik Intentions (P&C)
|Sunday 17th January | SECOND SUNDAY OF THE YEAR|
9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Pat & Rose O’Mahony RIP (O’Donnell), Michele Di Gangi RIP (Boundy)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Mamu K Ratna RIP & Melanie Morley RIP (K Ratna & Sepala); Rose Brophy RIP (Deignan); People of the Parish
🔷 Public Mass intended for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.
Liturgy Office resources:
Calendar notes for 2021 (PDF)
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE