TWENTY FIRST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME (YEAR A)
Go to: Notices | Public Mass Downloads | Parish Donations | Masses & Intentions | Our Facebook Page | Our Youtube Channel
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has been placed on ‘furlough’ until further notice, please contact Fr Joseph for all Parish matters, he can be contacted via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
DECEASED John Clarke Vint, RIP, aged 98 died recently, surrounded by his family. He was such a lovely gentleman and repertoire of wisdom. He will be sorely missed. Please keep Peggy and her family in your thoughts and prayers. Funeral Mass for John is being held at OLP on Wednesday August 26, 2020 at 11.00am.
Suzanne Brown, RIP, died at home on Wednesday July 29th. She will be sadly missed by her family and friends. Please pray for the repose of her soul and for the consolation of her family and friends. Funeral for Suzanne is being held on Thursday September 3, 12.00noon at OLP.
May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace, Amen.
RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC LITURGIES AT OUR LADY OF PEACE AND ST ANDREW’S
It has been exceptionally good having parishioners back in Church for Mass these past seven weeks. Thank you to our amazing volunteers who have made this possible.
We are now able to rebook previously cancelled or postponed bookings and take new bookings and enquiries for baptisms, wedding, anniversary celebrations, etc. Please telephone or email the parish office for these and other enquiries. We have now scheduled dates for First Holy Communion celebration. Updates on celebration of Confirmation and RCIA will follow in due course.
During any public celebration of liturgies, we will continue, to the best of our ability, to put in place measures to ensure everyone’s safety.
Weekend Mass times remains:
|Day||Location||Time||Who can attend|
|Sat||Our Lady of Peace||10.00am||Specifically for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.|
|Sat||Our Lady of Peace||6.00pm||Anyone|
|Sun||Our Lady of Peace||9.30am||Anyone|
- Saturday morning Mass is reserved for parishioners needing to take extra caution.
- If you are currently in the ‘at risk’ or ‘shielding’ categories you should follow government guidelines, and continue to participate via our Mass live streams on Facebook and YouTube.
- Dispensation from the obligation to attend Mass on Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation is still in place if you feel uncomfortable or if you cannot attend in person.
ATTENDING MASS IN PERSON: Doors will be open 30 minutes before Mass. Please arrive much earlier than normal so we can follow these important safety measures:
- On arrival, please wait outside – keep 2 metres apart from non-family members – until a steward calls you in.
- Masks or face covering must be worn – we can provide if you forget to bring your own.
- Your temperature will be taken by a steward.
- Please bring your name and telephone number on a piece of paper. We will keep these safely for 2 weeks should we need to conduct contact tracing.
- You will be asked to sanitise your hands upon entering the church.
- A steward will guide you to your seat.
- Once we have reached maximum capacity, unfortunately we will have to ask you to attend at another time.
- All other instructions will be provided at the beginning and throughout each service as necessary.
It is important to note that live streaming of daily Masses from Our Lady of Peace will continue as usual for those who feel they cannot attend in person.
Please also ensure that you limit attendance to one of these scheduled weekend Masses so we can accommodate as many as possible in safety.
Weekday Masses with the congregation will be announced weekly, subject to availability of volunteers. Next week, there will be 9.30 Mass with congregation at OLP on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. There will also be 9.30am Mass at St Andrew’s on Thursday. Next Wednesday, August 26, there is a funeral Mass for the Late John Vint at 11.00am at OLP.
N.B. The Private Prayer Sessions at St Andrew’s, Cippenham have now been replaced with Anglican services.
Private Prayer Sessions (N.B. revised schedule)
|Tuesday||Our Lady of Peace||10.15am||12noon|
|Thursday*||Our Lady of Peace||6.00pm||8.00pm|
A donation box is available in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory envelopes, donations, etc.
CAN YOU VOLUNTEER? We could still do with more volunteers. If you would like to volunteer, or if you would like to know more (the roles are described here), please contact Barbara Bryant on 07881 460024 or Brid Vaughan on 07540 013181. For obvious reasons, volunteers must not be those in the ‘at risk’ category.
Many thanks and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
- BAPTISM & MARRIAGE – On request.
- CONFESSION: 5.15pm on Saturday at OLOP and on request.
- FIRST HOLY COMMUNION – Celebration of First Holy Communion Masses now scheduled for 5th, 12th, and 19th of September 2020 at 11.00am and 2.00pm on each of the allocated days. This will be preceded by a preparatory meeting with each batch of Holy Communicants with their parents at 6.00pm on Friday preceding each allocated Saturday. Parents have been contacted with details of what would be happening. Our thanks to the Team who prepared the children for First Holy Communion and are putting in lots of shifts to organise these Masses for our children.
- CONFIRMATION – We would contact Candidates and Parents once a date has been arranged with Bishop.
VISIT TO THOSE SHIELDING, SICK AND HOUSEBOUND Fr Joe would like to visit those shielding, the sick and housebound. He would appreciate any information about those who might require a visit from the parish priest.
MASS BOOKINGS Can now be dropped off at the Presbytery, or given to the stewards or Fr Joe when you visit the Church. You can still make request for Masses by email at frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or phone the parish office and leave a clear voice message. Should you wish to give a Mass Stipend, you could either use the available online donation platforms for the parish (further below in this newsletter under FINANCES section), noting Mass Stipend as reference, or drop off your donation at the Presbytery at your convenience.
CAFOD BEIRUT EMERGENCY APPEAL If you can, kindly use this link to give your support for the Beirut emergency appeal, Thank you.
ST PATRICK’S CELEBRATION In the interest of keeping everyone safe, St Patrick’s celebration was postponed ’till 2021. Anyone who wishes to have a refund of money paid for tickets should contact Shelagh on 07941 432706 or csct[AT]shelaghwhitehouse.co.uk. Thank you for your understanding.
LIFE IN THE SPIRIT SEMINAR ONLINE The Diocesan Service Team for Northampton are running the Life in The Spirit Seminars for 7 weeks, on Thursday evenings at 7:45pm, and for a whole day on Saturday 5th September. The seminars began on Thursday 13th August. Please register in advance for this meeting. For booking and other enquiries please email Kate Wilson: katewilson[AT]englenook.co.uk
Use this link to view the event flyer online, please use the link below to register online as the one on the flyer doesn’t work: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcrfuCvrzwiH9UNxxkCH6vDfgA1srgPT1U-
BURNHAM LABYRINTH PROJECT The Burnham Resilience Group is inviting everyone to participate in a new Labyrinth Project. A Labyrinth represents a journey with good and bad times and unlike a maze, it is a continuous path. On Friday 28th August, the Burnham Labryinth Event will take place to build 150 metres of raised labyrinth path decorated with painted stones. The Labyrinth is intended to be a multi-Faith area, working with all the Faith groups in Burnham Village, standing as a memory to remind future generations of what Burnham and the rest of the world went through during the Pandemic. It will be a place where people of all ages can visit, mourn, and reflect at any time, where children can walk and learn how the residents of Burnham got through their journey together.
Every Burnham resident is invited to paint at least one stone – any way you like – to commemorate your memories of this time. It could be painted with the name of a loved one lost, or a hero you encountered through this tough time. It’s completely up to you. You can paint the stone at home or you can join the event on the 28th August by signing up with the Burnham Resilience Group on Facebook or website:
If you wish to join the event, you will need to register your participation to obtain the free tickets. The Labyrinth Project is supported by Our Lady of Peace.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Fr Joseph. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Fr Joseph or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for items for the printed bulletin is Thursday 12 noon.
SPIRITUAL COMMUNION PRAYER
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I long to receive you into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though You have already come, I embrace You and unite myself entirely to You; never permit me to be separated from You. Amen
AN ACT OF CONTRITION
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Saviour Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.
FINANCES The Diocesan Finance office has made the following options available to allow parishioners to give ongoing support to their Parish:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – The Diocese has set up ‘Giving Tuesday’. On Tuesdays between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can donate to your parish by calling 01604 712065. Should you wish to use this option, you will need your debit or credit card to hand when you call. You can either make a one-off donation to cover your missed Sunday offerings or call each week knowing your offering is going to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option we ask that you please indicate in the ‘notes’ section which parish, including the parish name and area or which priest, including his full name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish but donations to individual priests are not eligible for Gift Aid. Please therefore do not complete the Gift Aid option for any donation to a priest. Please go to northamptondiocese.org/donate.
- Donation by Post: You may send any donations to the parish either dropping through the letterbox in the Presbytery door, or by post to – The Presbytery, Our Lady of Peace Church, Lower Britwell Road, Burnham, Slough SL2 2NL. If you are posting please do not post cash, cheque only. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Our Lady of Peace’.
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish or Parish Priest. The information required to make the donation is as follows –
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough or Parish Priest’s Easter offering.
- Standing Order using the form: This is available on our Diocesan website under Diocese > Departments > Finance and then within the Gift Aid paragraph. You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
- There is also a donation box in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory, donations, etc.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
Times for Private Prayers
August 22nd – August 30th
Sunday Readings: Year A
Weekday Readings: Cycle I
Week 21 in Ordinary Time
N.B. Changes and new events are in bold text.
Next week, there will be 9.30 Mass with congregation at OLP on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. There will also be 9.30am Mass at St Andrew’s on Thursday. Next Wednesday, August 26, there is a funeral Mass for the Late John Vint at 11.00am at OLP.
Resumption of Public Masses: Please arrive early to allow for the new pre-Mass protocols and remember to bring face coverings 😷. Doors will be opened 30 minutes before the start of Mass. If the Church is full, you will not be allowed inside.
CONFESSION: 5.15pm on Saturday at Our Lady of Peace and on request.
August 22nd – August 30th
|Saturday 22nd August | 21ST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️ 🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – McCann Family intentions (B O’Donnell); G. Ehilebo
5.15pm-5.45pm Our Lady of Peace – Confessions
🖥️ 6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Jack & Maura Walsh, RIP (Walsh); Mary Whitefield, RIP (Cafferty/Deignan)
|Sunday, 23rd August | 21ST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Angela O’Donnell, RIP (O’Donnell)
11.30am St Andrew’s – People of the Parish; Suzanne Brown, RIP (Family)
|Monday, 24th August | ST BARTHOLOMEW, Apostle|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Simpson (Foundation); Baby A Molesey, RIP (Rosary Group)
|Tuesday, 25th August|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Robert McClintock, RIP – Bd Rem (Denise); Fr Emmanuel Okami, Birthday (Rosary Group)
10.15am-12noon Our Lady of Peace – open for private prayer
|Wednesday, 26th August|
🖥️ 11.00am Our Lady of Peace – Funeral Mass for John Vint, RIP
|Thursday, 27th August | ST MONICA|
9.30am St Andrew’s – Eldred Mascarenhas, RIP (Zeena)
6.00pm-8.00pm Our Lady of Peace – open for private prayer
|Friday, 28th August | ST AUGUSTINE, Bishop & Doctor of the Church|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Harper Family (B O’Donnell); Margaret Cremin (Sugrue Family); Holy Souls
|Saturday 29th August | 22ND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️ 🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – Suzanne Brown, RIP (Family); G. Ehilebo, RIP; Dominic Heffron, RIP (Anna Thornton)
5.15pm-5.45pm Our Lady of Peace – Confessions
🖥️ 6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Margaret & Joe Haire Family (R Grp); Fe Starkey, RIP; Nathan Fernandes: Thanksgiving (Millie); Intentions of Cafferty/Deignan (Cafferty/Deignan)
|Sunday, 30th August | 22ND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – People of the Parish; Young Families (R Gr); Imelda McCabe (McCabe Family)
11.30am St Andrew’s – Canute Simoes, RIP (K. Ratna & Sepala)
🖥️ Mass live streamed on Facebook & YouTube.
🔷 Public Mass intended for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.
❌ Mass offered privately.
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE