FIFTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME (YEAR A)
PARISH OFFICE Yvonne has been placed on ‘furlough’ until further notice, please contact Fr Joseph for all Parish matters, he can be contacted via email on frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or you can telephone the Parish office on 01628 605764 and leave a message.
RESUMPTION OF OUR PUBLIC MASSES
Dear Parishioners, I am delighted to announce the resumption of Masses at Our Lady of Peace and St Andrew’s churches, in line with the Prime Minister’s recent announcement and with the support of Bishop David. While this is welcome news indeed, as you would expect, we will have measures in place to ensure we are keeping everyone as safe as we possibly can. Weekend Mass times remains:
Weekend Masses –
Saturday 11th July onward
|Day||Location||Time||Who can attend|
|Sat 11th July||Our Lady of Peace||10.00am||Specifically for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.|
|Sat 11th July||Our Lady of Peace||6.00pm||Anyone|
|Sun 12th July||Our Lady of Peace||9.30am||Anyone|
|Sun 12th July||St Andrew’s||11.30am||Anyone|
- Saturday morning Mass is reserved for parishioners needing to take extra caution.
- If you are currently in the ‘at risk’ or ‘shielding’ categories you should follow government guidelines, and continue to participate via our Mass live streams on Facebook and YouTube.
- Dispensation from the obligation to attend Mass on Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation is still in place if you feel uncomfortable or if you cannot attend in person.
ATTENDING MASS IN PERSON: Doors will be open 30 minutes before Mass. Please arrive much earlier than normal so we can follow these important safety measures:
- On arrival, please wait outside – keep 2 metres apart from non-family members – until a steward calls you in.
- Masks or face covering must be worn – we can provide if you forget to bring your own.
- Your temperature will be taken by a steward.
- Please bring your name and telephone number on a piece of paper. We will keep these safely for 2 weeks should we need to conduct contact tracing.
- You will be asked to sanitise your hands upon entering the church.
- A steward will guide you to your seat.
- Once we have reached maximum capacity, unfortunately we will have to ask you to attend at another time.
- All other instructions will be provided at the beginning and throughout each service as necessary.
It is important to note that live streaming of daily Masses from Our Lady of Peace will continue as usual for those who feel they cannot attend in person.
Please also ensure that you limit attendance to one of these scheduled weekend Masses so we can accommodate as many as possible in safety.
Weekday Masses with the congregation will be announced weekly, subject to availability of volunteers. Next week, there will 9.30 Mass with the congregation at OLP on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. There will also be 9.30am Mass at St Andrew’s.
Private Prayer Sessions (N.B. revised schedule)
|Tuesday||Our Lady of Peace||10.15am||12noon|
|Thursday||Our Lady of Peace||6.00pm||8.00pm|
A donation box is available in Our Lady of Peace for Mass intentions, offertory envelopes, donations, etc.
CAN YOU VOLUNTEER? We could still do with more volunteers. If you would like to volunteer, or if you would like to know more (the roles are described here), please contact Barbara Bryant on 07881 460024 or Brid Vaughan on 07540 013181. For obvious reasons, volunteers must not be those in the ‘at risk’ category.
Many thanks and God bless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Please read Attending Mass After Lockdown: Your Questions Answered.
Public Mass Downloads:
APPRECIATION We remain very grateful for your generous ongoing financial support to the parish. Thank you also to those rendering various services to the parish and parishioners. The Church wouldn’t survive during these challenging times without your support. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are experiencing financial difficulties due to the lockdown and economic situation. If there’s any way the parish can help, please contact Fr Joe.
FROM FR JOE
I was very humbled by your prayers, phone calls, and messages of support when my car was stolen from the presbytery driveway on June 13. Thanks to individual donations, funds raised from JUST GIVING donations secretly organised by parishioners, total loss claim from the insurance and support from the Diocese, I have now been able get another vehicle. I am ever so grateful for your kindness. May God bless and reward you all. AMEN
ST ANDREW’S 300 CLUB DRAW
Winners of the summer draw:
1st Prize, £60: #34 Shirley Fernandes
2nd Prize, £40: #99 Denis Sugrue
3rd Prize, £25: #100 Betty McDonnell
LIVE STREAMING We live stream Masses from Our Lady of Peace on both YouTube and Facebook. You can participate from home in Masses that we stream live each day, on Facebook facebook.com/BurnhamCatholicParish and on YouTube. You do however require access to the internet on your mobile device, personal computer, or a connected TV or streaming box with a YouTube app.
You can find the parish channel on YouTube by entering ‘Our Lady of Peace Burnham’ in the search bar or by clicking on this link: youtube.com/channel/UCegtpwudlmz48G-m3gPNy4Q. If you are signed in please subscribe to our channel and select the notification bell icon.
We are still working towards adding more streaming platforms. Should you have suggestion of other social media platforms you or your family/friends might benefit from, please feel free to contact us. We have now rectified most of the technical hitches we experienced on the livestreaming services. Thank you for your understanding. Please give us feedback on how to improve our live streaming, or direct any enquiries to: ourladyofpeaceburnham[AT]gmail.com.
We are grateful and indeed delighted that many groups and families are making good use of social media platforms to gather and pray. Contact your group leaders to join or set up one. Thank you to those already reaching out to fellow parishioners and members of the community. We continue to unite as a family of God in faith, hope and solidarity.
MASS BOOKING Can now be dropped off at the Presbytery, or given to the stewards or Fr Joe when you visit the Church. You can still make request for Masses by email at frjosephudoh[AT]northamptondiocese.org or phone the parish office and leave a clear voice message. Should you wish to give a Mass Stipend, you could either use the available online donation platforms for the parish (further below in this newsletter under FINANCES section), noting Mass Stipend as reference, or drop off your donation at the Presbytery at your convenience.
SICK CALL Fr Joe is happy to be contacted for any sick call. He will also be grateful for information on any parishioner or family member who has taken ill. If you or your loved ones are admitted to hospital, please remember to request to see a Catholic Chaplain.
CAFOD are hosting a live online Children’s Liturgy for families, on Sundays at 10.00am. There are more prayers, for liturgical use or private prayer, available at cafod.org.uk/Pray
‘STRENGTH TO STRENGTH’ – ONLINE COURSE ON PRAYER
During these particularly difficult times, we find solace in prayer. Yet, at times prayer seems to evade us or perhaps we simply find it difficult to concentrate. If this is something you would like to know more about, you may be interested in an online course called ‘Strength to Strength’. The course is designed to give practical help to those wishing to pray more in their daily lives.
There are 6 sessions with each session lasting approximately 40 minutes, plus time for discussion and prayerful reflections. The course is inspired by the Catechism of the Catholic Church and filmed in an engaging and humorous way and will run from Thursday 25th June at 7.45 pm. Weekly until Thursday 27th July.
The course will be run via the Zoom Video Conferencing platform which means you will need a computer or an iPad (or other tablet) or mobile phone with a good broadband service. If you are uncertain how to set up and the Zoom platform, do let us know and we will do our best to help you.
If you would like to know more about the course, please contact Bob Bryant on: 07979 820064 or by email: bobryant144[AT]gmail.com.
CATHOLIC NEWSPAPERS Due to the Coronavirus many of the Catholic Newspapers are now available online, on website www.ChurchPaper.co.uk.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE PARISH WEBSITE OR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER can be sent to Fr Joseph. Items on paper and print are also accepted and can be given to Fr Joseph or delivered to the Presbytery. The deadline for items for the printed bulletin is Thursday 12 noon.
SPIRITUAL COMMUNION PRAYER
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I long to receive you into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though You have already come, I embrace You and unite myself entirely to You; never permit me to be separated from You. Amen
AN ACT OF CONTRITION
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Saviour Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.
FINANCES The Diocesan Finance office has made the following options available to allow parishioners to give ongoing support to their Parish:
- Donating by phone: ‘Giving Tuesday’ – The Diocese has set up ‘Giving Tuesday’. On Tuesdays between 10:00am and 4:00pm, you can donate to your parish by calling 01604 712065. Should you wish to use this option, you will need your debit or credit card to hand when you call. You can either make a one-off donation to cover your missed Sunday offerings or call each week knowing your offering is going to your parish.
- Online Donation We have an online donation facility on our main Diocesan website through Virgin Money giving (link below). If you use this option we ask that you please indicate in the ‘notes’ section which parish, including the parish name and area or which priest, including his full name that you would like your donation to be attributed to. Please note that there is the facility to Gift Aid any donation to your Parish but donations to individual priests are not eligible for Gift Aid. Please therefore do not complete the Gift Aid option for any donation to a priest. Please go to northamptondiocese.org/donate.
- Donation by Post: You may send any donations to the parish either dropping through the letterbox in the Presbytery door, or by post to – The Presbytery, Our Lady of Peace Church, Lower Britwell Road, Burnham, Slough SL2 2NL. If you are posting please do not post cash, cheque only. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Our Lady of Peace’.
- Standing Order via donor’s own bank: You can set up a standing order for donations to your parish using either your online bank account or in branch. You can also make a one-off payment to the parish or Parish Priest. The information required to make the donation is as follows –
Sort Code; 60-06-11.
Account Name; 46716203. Account Name; RCDN Our Lady of Peace.
Payment Ref: Our Lady of Peace, Slough or Parish Priest’s Easter offering.
- Standing Order using the form: This is available on our Diocesan website under Diocese > Departments > Finance and then within the Gift Aid paragraph. You can complete the standing order form for donations to your parish with the option to Gift Aid. Please indicate on this form if you are not a tax payer but would like to set up a standing order only.
There are two sides/sheets to this form, it should be printed, completed, signed and returned to our Parish office, we will then forward to central offices at Bishop’s House for processing at a later date. Please remember to state which parish this standing is for i.e. ‘For the benefit of Our Lady of Peace, Slough Parish’ section at the top of the form. Banks will require 7 working days from receipt of these forms to activate the request so please ensure the start date reflects this 7 day period to ensure the S.O. can take effect.
Thank you for any help you are able to give and God bless. Fr Joseph
- Diocese News
- Diocese Twitter page (includes the Bishop’s weekly engagements)
- The Vine (Journal of the Diocese of Northampton)
- Diocese of Northampton Flickr photo albums
- News from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Videos on Vimeo from the Catholic Church in England & Wales
- Catholic Church in England & Wales Flickr photo albums
- News from the Vatican (in English)
Masses & Intentions
Times for Private Prayers
July 11th – July 19th
Sunday Readings: Year A
Weekday Readings: Cycle III
Week 15 in Ordinary Time
N.B. Changes and new events are in bold text.
This week, there will 9.30 Mass with the congregation at OLP on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. There will also be 9.30am Mass at St Andrew’s.
Resumption of Public Masses: Please arrive early to allow for the new pre-Mass protocols and remember to bring face coverings 😷. Doors will be opened 30 minutes before the start of Mass. If the Church is full, you will not be allowed inside.
July 11th – July 19th
|Saturday, 11th July | 15TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – End to the Pandemic; Sick and Housebound
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Vincent Lambert, RIP (Rosary Group); Liam, Claire and Danny.
|Sunday, 12th July | 15TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – John Lawlor, RIP Anniv. (Goldberg); People of the Parish; All Volunteers in the Parish; For an end to the COVID-19 Pandemic
11.30am St Andrew’s – People of the Parish; Millie & Thomas Fernandez
|Monday, 13th June|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Ethel-Ernest McClintosh, RIP (Desire), Annie Kuthakathen Int. (Family)
|Tuesday, 14th June|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – John & Mary Lawlor, RIP (Rosary Group), Rawling family (Foundation)
10.15am-12noon Our Lady of Peace – open for private prayer
|Wednesday, 15th July | ST BONAVENTURE, Bishop & Doctor of the Church|
🖥️❌ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – George Brooker & Charles Brooker, RIP (D. Brooker) – N.B. Mass held without congregation.
|Thursday, 16th July|
🖥️ 9.30am St Andrew’s – O’Flynn (Foundation)
10.30am-12noon St Andrew’s – open for private prayer
6.00pm-8.00pm Our Lady of Peace – open for private prayer
|Friday, 17th July|
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Fr Clemente, RIP (Rosary Group)
|Saturday 18th July | 16TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️🔷 10.00am Our Lady of Peace – Sick and Housebound; End to the Pandemic
6.00pm Our Lady of Peace – Walsh Family
|Sunday, 19th July | 16TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME|
Mass Readings (Year A)
🖥️ 9.30am Our Lady of Peace – Anita & Family (Family); Susan Deignan, RIP (Deignan); People of the Parish
09.30am-11.00am St Andrew’s – open for private prayer
11.30am St Andrew’s – People of the Parish; James O’Rouke, RIP (family)
🖥️ Mass live streamed on Facebook & YouTube.
🔷 Public Mass intended for the elderly and those who need to take extra care, but who are permitted outside of the home.
❌ Mass offered privately.
Our Lady of Peace Church – Lower Britwell Road, Burnham | SL2 2NL
St Andrew’s – Elmshott La/Washington Drive, Cippenham, Berks | SL1 5RE